Ural geese are different from all other species resistant to low temperatures, so they are often bred in the northern regions. White and gray Ural geese are the most popular subspecies of this type. The article describes their characteristics, characteristics, method of keeping, feeding and breeding.
Description and characteristics of the Ural geese?
From the gray wild geese that once settled in Siberia, the now known breed originated - the Ural geese, or as they are also called - the Shadrinsky geese.
The individuals are large, have a large head, a short neck and legs. The beak is smooth, orange, the paws are not long, also orange. Goose weight reaches 6 kg, females - 4.5-5 kg. A hen for a season gives no more than 30 eggs, this is not much, but the breed is not egg, but meat, so there is nothing surprising in this.
There are three subspecies of the Ural geese: white, gray and chess
There are three subspecies of the Ural geese: white, gray and chess. The article will describe in detail exactly the white and gray species. The feather itself is hard, not very soft, so rarely is used for stuffing pillows or similar things.
From the general characteristics of the white and gray Ural geese can be identified:
- developed maternal instinct;
- quick acclimatization;
- unpretentious care;
- egg production in 25-30 eggs;
- The female gives the first eggs weighing up to 150 g, but with age the weight increases to 160-165 g;
Ural white geeseRead also these articles.
- Variety of zucchini Gribovsky 37
- Cherry variety Lyubskaya
- The best wine grapes
- The best varieties of red onions
Ural geese of white color have exclusively white, uniform plumage. They are very beautiful, decorate any yard. All the qualities described above apply to them.
Ural white geese have exceptionally white uniform plumage
In the diurnal young of the white subspecies there can be light, dark or intermediate yellow color of the fluff. At about 73.5%, light down indicates a male, and dark down indicates a female, but it is almost impossible to distinguish other individuals.
Ural gray geese
Ural gray geese, as a rule, have a slightly larger body mass than white ones. For example, males often reach a weight of 6.5 kg!
The Ural gray geese have the darkest plumage on the upper part of the neck.
In terms of appearance, they are very simple, the saturation of the gray color can vary not only depending on the body part of the birds, but also individually - some are brighter, others are light, and so on. The darkest plumage is observed on the upper part of the neck, the ends of the wings, the back, the lightest place, almost white - the belly.
What are the difficulties of keeping the Ural geese?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Honey extractor - what is it, species
- Tomato juice recipes for winter
- Radish Celeste F1
- How to get rid of dandelions
Ural white and gray geese are often kept together, because they need similar feeding and maintenance.
Walking for the Ural geese needed
- The bird house is settling down the simplest - an inexpensive material, without heating. All you need is a simple ventilation system, wall insulation (if the temperature drops below -25 degrees in winter). Additional lighting is recommended to prolong the day, but if the bird is bred for its own use, and not for sale, then you can not waste energy, they also grow under natural conditions.
- In the house, nests, perches, feeders, and a trough filled with sand are being set up so that birds can swim in it.
- Walking is necessary to geese knead paws, wings. Fresh air has a positive effect on digestion, the nervous system of birds, their reproductive function. A medium enclosure is made for walking directly under the open sky, but it is advisable to make a canopy on one side so that they can hide in the rain or intense heat.
- Cleaning is carried out as far as the room and any equipment in the goose is contaminated.
- From time to time it is worth checking the birds, or rather, their beaks, legs, eyes. Often they become inflamed, injured, in which case help from a veterinarian is necessary. Well, of course, it is important to monitor the condition of the feathers. With a strong molt or similar problem, you need to seek help from a specialist. The lack of feathers in the cold winter for the bird is destructive.
How to feed?
You can choose the feed medium price policy or make yourself
In terms of feeding, the Ural white and gray individuals are not picky. You can choose the medium price policy or do it yourself. Birds are happy to eat pasture, greens, grass on the hill, you can feed them and mash from vegetable waste.
Feed the birds 2-3 times a day depending on the content. If there is walking, then 2 times - in the morning and in the evening, if the bird sits all day in the house - 3 times a day.
How to breed gray and white Ural geese?
Ural geese, regardless of the subspecies have a good maternal instinct
Regardless of the subspecies, the Ural geese have a good maternal instinct, so that the use of an incubator is required exclusively in large-scale production. In private farms, in small farms, the use of an incubator is impractical - additional funds, time, effort.
It is much easier to lay some good eggs under the female and wait for the goslings to hatch naturally. In this case, the breeder will only need to feed the female and water her from time to time, since the bird itself can read its own needs too petty in comparison with the importance of incubating the offspring. Sometimes they just don’t eat for a few days - so it’s important to follow!