Udder mastitis in cows not only reduces milk yield, but also causes discomfort and discomfort to the animal. That is why it needs to be able to identify and heal in a timely manner. The problem is that there are many forms of mastitis and only some of them are easy to diagnose at an early stage. The article will describe the disease itself, its forms, symptoms, treatment and prevention.
Why does udder mastitis appear in cows?
Mastitis is not a seasonal disease, it can appear due to a number of reasons throughout the year.
Mastitis is not a seasonal disease.
- Mechanical damage to the udder and nipples is one of the most common causes of the appearance and development of mastitis in cows. These include animal bites, snakes, insects, improper milking hands, milking apparatus.
- Hypothermia, overheating can also lead to the formation of mastitis. So you need to keep the cows in a normal, insulated room, where it is not cold and not hot, not to take them out in the winter, in the cold, during the rains on walks. And in the summer to do a canopy from the sun.
- If a cow is fed with special preparations of a chemical type, or given antibiotics like “Biomitsin”, mastitis can develop. The reason for poisoning is an overdose of chemicals.
- Mastitis in cows often appears as a result of infection with E. coli. It penetrates the breast tissue, multiplies and leads to the development of the disease.
How to identify mastitis in cows?Read also these articles.
- How to cut raspberries in the fall
- How to choose a melon
- Why a cow gives you little milk and what to do
- What to feed the pigs?
Mastitis has many forms, each with its own individual symptoms, but there are also general signs by which the disease can be identified in advance — at an early stage, so that you can go to a veterinarian in time and begin treatment until the problem has worsened.
The wrong consistency of milk
Common signs of mastitis in cows include:
- increased body temperature;
- udder swelling;
- growths on the udder;
- improper consistency of milk;
- clots or flakes in milk;
- bloody or purulent discharge from the nipples.
Udder mastitis forms
There are many forms of mastitis in cows. They have different symptoms and treatment.
- Subclinical mastitis is dangerous because it has no bright symptoms. Identify it for sure only after research bioflora milk. Without timely treatment develops into a serous form.
- Serous mastitis begins only after calving. Udder becomes red, dark color, lymph nodes interfere. Udoi fall, the cow behaves restlessly, especially during milking. The quality and color of milk varies.
Analyzer of mastitis "Ecotest-303"
- Catarral mastitis in cows, as a rule, is observed in female heifers a month after the start of milking. Manifested in low fat milk, the number of flakes and clots in the product.
- Purulent mastitis comes in three forms. Purulent-catarrhal manifested in fever, loss of appetite. Milk becomes unpleasant to the taste, with a bad smell and clots of rot. When cellulitis lymph nodes swell, vessels appear under the skin, reduced milk yield. Abscess - inflammation of abscesses outside or inside the udder. Manifested in chromate, udder edema, fever, purulent mass in milk.
- Kolimastitis is manifested in active weight loss, dehydration. Milk disappears. The temperature rises to 42 degrees and in a few days the Burenka may die. It is treated very difficult.
- Hemorrhagic mastitis in cows is detected by blood clots in milk. The animal becomes sluggish, quiet, the temperature can reach 41 degrees - urgent treatment is necessary.
- Fibrous - a very dangerous form of mastitis in cows. It develops quickly. First, there is heat up to 40 degrees, chills begin, the udder becomes painful, the cow may even limp from it. Appetite disappears, milk yield drops sharply or stops altogether, then death occurs.
How to treat mastitis in cows at home?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Hissar breed of sheep
- Description and characteristics of the incubator
- How many grams per tablespoon
- Pig diseases
Preparations for the treatment of mastitis in cows
For the treatment of mastitis udder, cows are seriously treated with antibiotics. But you need to use and buy them only with the permission of the veterinarian, as they may adversely affect the health of the animal. So, for the treatment of serous mastitis usually use injections of "Novocain", "Penersina", "Masticid", "Mastisana". Also, the udder is rubbed all the time with ointments like "Ihtiola" or "Camphor". When purulent used "Rivanol", "Streptotsid", "Ichtinol", solution of potassium permanganate. The number and method of use are prescribed by the veterinarian, as in each individual case the numbers may vary. The treatment period depends on the form of the disease, its neglect.
It is very important in any form of mastitis in a cow, to isolate a sick individual, to provide it with rest, high-quality (vitamin and nutritional) feeding, plenty of clean water at room temperature, warmth, purity. A sick cow is milked at home at least three times a day and at the same time exclusively with her hands, and not by machine!
In addition to medicines prescribed by the veterinarian, you can use some traditional methods of treating mastitis in cows:
Homeopathic medicine for the treatment of mastitis in cows according to George Mac Leod
- Udder washing is carried out with warm water several times a day.
- Massage of coarse areas allows you to remove purulent stasis, improve blood flow. In case of inflammation of the udder, massage is not recommended.
- Catarrhal and fibrous mastitis in cows is quickly treated with clay. For the night the udder is smeared with a mixture of clay with a decoction of nettle, plantain and yarrow. On the next day, the mixture is washed with a decoction of dandelion with nettle. This method relieves swelling and pain.
- Warming up can be done through special lotions or washing with warm water. You can warm up the udder and paraffin. It is heated in a water bath and put on the udder in layers, and in order that the paraffin does not cool quickly, it is necessary to apply a wrap over it.
- A quartz lamp can be used to treat the painful area of the udder, and then wrap with a film or towel to keep it warm.
However, it is important to remember that any popular methods should be coordinated with the veterinarian, as in some cases they can only harm.
Prevention of mastitis in cows?
Mastitis vaccine should be administered in a clean udder.
Prevention of mastitis is aimed at preventing the onset of the disease. If appropriate measures are taken on time, then cows will never have mastitis, and if it does, it will most likely be mild. So what does prevention mean?
- Proper arrangement of the barn.
- Maintain cleanliness in the rooms where animals are kept.
- Personal hygiene by staff dealing with cows.
- Regular inspection of cows by a veterinarian.
- The ability to work with a cow, to milk it, to process the udder - that is, all the workers on the farm must be trained.
- Timely detection and treatment of udder edema.
- Increased attention to the udder of the cow during the week before and after calving.
- Preparation and maintenance of the correct diet for cows.