Late blight (phytophthora) often affects tomatoes grown in greenhouses or open ground. This is a very common problem that must be fought in a timely manner so as not to lose a significant part of the crop. Phytophthora on tomatoes is very dangerous and spreads quickly, so hopefully it will not go away by itself. The following article describes the treatment and prevention of late blight.
Signs of phytophtora on tomatoes
The cause of blight is a fungus, called Phytophthora infestans. In Latin, it translates as "destroying the plant." This name was not just given the disease. A fungus can really completely destroy a tomato bush or another vegetable “sacrifice” in a matter of weeks, if not the days when nothing is done to it.Important! The danger of phytophtoras is not only in its destroying action, but also in the fact that it quickly spreads to neighboring solanaceae, strawberries, potatoes and some other crops.
Initially, the disease manifests itself on the back side of tomato leaflets in the form of brown specks, which rather quickly increase in size. There may also be white bloom. Then the fungus moves to the stems and fruits, if they already exist. Pagons also acquire dark spots, and the fruits begin to turn black, even if still green. In this case, the leaves can already begin to dry up, fall off and the plant simply dies as a result. Close growing bushes become infected very quickly.
Causes of late blight on tomatoesRead also these articles.
- How to grow apricot from the stone
- Portulaca Flowers
- How to keep Vietnamese piglets
- How to freeze zucchini
Late blight can easily get to the site, but to remove it from there, as a rule, is extremely difficult.
- Lime soil for fungi is favorable. In it, he can easily live and develop for many years.
- High humidity is an ideal medium for fungi. Therefore, gardeners are advised not to “drown” tomatoes in water, but only regularly moisten the ground beneath them, waiting for the moment when it dries.
- Thickened planting is not so much the cause of the problem, as the cause of its rapid spread.
- Low temperature in combination with high importance or heat (in a greenhouse, for example), again in combination with humidity, can lead to the appearance of phytophthora.
- The abundance of nitrogen supplements and the lack of other valuable elements (zinc, iodine, manganese, potassium) is harmful for tomatoes and beneficial for the fungus.
How to deal with blight on tomatoes?
Switch, Fitosporin, Kvadris and Previkur
If there was a phytophthora on tomatoes, you can not put off solving the problem! The sooner measures are taken to combat it, the greater the chance that cultures will be saved. So, which specialized drugs are effective against the disease?
There are so many fungicides from phytophthora on tomatoes, but not all of them are effective. The most popular ones are: Switch, Fitosporin, Kvadris, Previkur, as well as copper sulfate, used for a long time to combat various diseases in the garden and in the garden. Such preparations are used according to the instructions, in which the proportions of dilution and the characteristics of each preparation are indicated. So, for example, in the case of copper sulfate use 2 spoons per 8 liters of water.Important! When treating phytophthora experts recommend spraying not only diseased tomatoes, but also all nearby bushes with drugs!
All drugs to combat blight divided into several categories.
- Systemic chemicals: "Previkur", "Infinito", "Bravo".
- Chemicals: Bordeaux Liquid, Topaz, Fundazol.
- Biological: "Planriz", "Fitoftorin", "Baktofit".
- Medicinal: "Furacilin", "Calcium Chloride", "Trihopol".
If late blight returns to tomatoes annually, it is worth beginning to change the treatment means each year so that the fungus does not get used to the preparation. But, in addition, it is important to carry out preventive measures.
Folk remedies from phytophthora on tomatoesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Red Baron onion variety
- Red-cheeked apricot
- Repair Strawberry - the best varieties
- When to plant pepper in seedlings in 2019
Not only specialized drugs can deal with blight. If you use traditional methods according to all the rules and systematically, you can overcome the ailment at an early stage.
Whey and Garlic
- Whey diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1 and 2 times a day sprayed tomatoes. The bush is sprayed completely so that the leaves are processed not only from the top, but also from the bottom.
- One garlic with tops is crushed into a mush, and then combined with a glass of water. This mixture should brew for 24 hours. Then filter the infusion, add 10 liters of water and 1 g of potassium permanganate. This solution should be sprayed tomatoes 10 days in a row - once a day.
- Tomatoes are powdered with simple wood ash starting from the moment when 1.5 weeks have passed from planting to the garden and before picking the fruits. The frequency of application - once a week.
- You can use in the fight against the disease and a very concentrated salt mixture or infusion of humus.
How to process tomatoes from phytophthora in a greenhouse?
Processing tomato in greenhouse
Processing of tomatoes from phytophthora in greenhouses and greenhouses is no different from the treatment of culture in the open field. But in this case it is necessary to apply counter measures not only to crops, but also to the greenhouse.
Before planting plants in the greenhouse, you need to thoroughly disinfect the room, clean it of fungi, mold. A simple smoke bomb or fumigation can cope with pests. It is very easy to work with a sword, and in the case of fumigation, you need to throw an ember into the bucket, then woolen cloth (without any impurities) over it and put it in a greenhouse. Windows, doors, slots are well sealed so that the smoke does not go out. During the day the greenhouse must be completely closed, and then you can open it and air it.Important! Instead of fumigating a greenhouse, you can simply treat it with such preparations as "Shining", "Baikal Em" or "Fitosporin".
We treat late blight
To treat blight is incredibly difficult. Phytophthora on tomatoes, as well as on other crops, can be a real catastrophe for the gardener, so it is necessary to carry out preventive measures annually to avoid the appearance and further spread of fungus.
- If the land is calcareous, it is recommended to dilute it with peat, sand.
- It is very important to observe crop rotation.
- You can not thicken landing. This is inconvenient for the crops themselves, for the gardener who cares for them, but for the spread of diseases it is very convenient.
- Tomatoes must be regularly aired in greenhouses so that fungus spores cannot calmly grow.
- Do not swamp the land. Around the root system, it is regularly loosened, and in cloudy weather, tomatoes are not watered, but irrigated.
- To prevent phytophthora, tomatoes are fertilized with potash, phosphate and calcium fertilizers.
- Prophylactic treatments with solutions prepared according to popular recipes will not interfere. They are quite safe, so once a week or two, such sprays will not be superfluous.